Re: [CQ-Contest] Reflections on comments about open logs, right versus w

To: "Robert L. Shohet" <kq2m@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Reflections on comments about open logs, right versus wrong, etc.
From: Rick Eversole <rick@eversoles.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 19:48:25 -0700
Robert L. Shohet wrote:
> Hans,
>
> This proof is nonsense and does not work either
> symbolically or mathematically.
>
> You say that 3l = r = -w.  If that is true then
> 3l = -w .
>
> Then you say that l = r = -w.
>
> That would mean that 3l = l, which is mathematically
> impossible.

I beg to differ,  in fact 3l = l if you pick the right values for l, say
0....
There are other mathematical systems which would lead to other values for l.
You assume common layman numerical systems ... this is nonsense when in
the mathematical realm.

In the realm of transfinite infinities, I believe you can pick l as
inifinite, multiplying by 3 still results in infinity and is pretty much
a meaningless operation.
My math is really rusty here so I could be wrong.

Further oddities occur I move into non-euclidean spaces.
Mathematical systems exist in which multiplication does not exist which
leads to even more confusion.

In symbolic logic realm a successful logical arguments fail when the
premise is not accepted as true.
No logical argument can succeed if I do not accept your base premise as
true. This is even more
wacky then the base mathematical proofs where it is easier to find
someone to believe your premise.

Never argue with a logician or philosopher it just frustrates you and
elevates the their ego which has too high to begin with.

--
Charging Forward
Rick "The Rhino" N6RNO

@ Tehama for California QSO Party, October 4-5 2008.