Re: [CQ-Contest] Rig placement and ergonomics

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rig placement and ergonomics
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:41:43 -0800
Hi John,

I see lots of stations with:
Keyboard on the desk
Radio behind the keyboard
Monitor on top of the radio.

To tune the radio, as I often have to do, being a little pistol, you
have to lean forward, reach over the keyboard and fiddle the knobs.  As
you have discovered, this can be a real pain.  i.e. poor ergonomics.
Probably not much of an issue, though, if all you do is run.

To look at the monitor you have to take your eyes off the keyboard
(that's right, I don't touch type but I can log 3-4 cw Qs per minute,
sometimes 5) and tilt your head back a bit, thus putting a strain on
your neck - another pain.

My station:
The op position is an L-shaped secretarial desk as was common in the
days of typewriters.  One part of the L is the main desk surface with a
height of 28-1/2".  The other part is called the "return".  It is 1-1/2"
below the main desk surface.  This is where the typewriter used to be
placed.

So, my keyboard sits on the return which puts it at a better height for
typing than the typical desk height.  The main desk surface is to my right.

The radio sits on the main desk surface to my right and is positioned in
such a way that the radio is pretty well facing me and when I rest my
right forearm on the main desk surface the tuning knob is about 3" away
from my hand.   So all I have to do to reach it is pivot my arm slightly
to the right using my elbow as the pivot point.  I don't even have to
look at the radio to do this.

The monitor, and to me this is really important, sits BEHIND (not on)
the return and the bottom edge of the screen is about 2-3" BELOW the
surface of the return.  This means that I never have to move my head to
view either the keyboard or the monitor.  In addition, I find that this
placement of the monitor results in a very comfortable position for my body.

I can op for 12 or more hours continuously and NEVER get a stiff neck or
other discomfort, other than the normal stiffness for my age due to
sitting for long periods.

"And what age is that, pray tell?"  Well, I'm getting sensitive about it
but I got my ticket in 1953.

I have a second monitor mounted above the first on which I display
things like DXAtlas, HamCAP, etc.  Looking at it does require raising
the head but I'm not doing it all the time.

Above the 2nd monitor I have a little scope, a phone patch, an AC VTVM
and a frequency counter.  Above that I have an audio patch bay.

Here's how this is all supported.

The L shaped desk is shoved right up against two adjoining walls in the
shack so the outside corner of the desk fits snugly into the inside
corner of the two walls.

I built an alcove (just like a closet but no door) right behind the
keyboard.  It's about 22" wide and 36" deep and juts out into the
basement.  It has adjustable shelves on which I can put all this gear
(and a place at the bottom for power supplies and big battery) and it
has a door at the back which gives me access to the back of the monitors
etc. and makes it easy to move things in and out.  It also provides a
convenient location for my Rig Runner DC distribution block and PWRGate
auto switchover between AC and battery operation.

The intent was that the door would normally be closed.  However, I found
that, as one of the monitors is a CRT type, it got warmer than I liked
in there so the door is normally open and, in summer time, I add a fan.

I spent quite a bit of time thinking about how I wanted to set up the op
position and I'm VERY happy with the result.  The only thing I would
change would be to make the alcove a little wider to accommodate bigger
monitors.

Regarding your comment about clutter, remember the old design maxim,
"Form follows function."

Anyway, I don't for a moment suppose that you're going to tear your
station apart and duplicate this.  I do hope that you found it to be of
some interest.

73, Jim Smith   VE7FO