[CQ-Contest] WRTC Spotting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Spotting
From: "Carol Richards" <n2mm@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:23:03 -0500
I have received several comments related to my earlier post. I think Jeff, KU8E
was right on track with his suggestion up to a point. I think it should be left
to the WRTC committee to make the determination after the contest and before
the final results are announced. If a log has a dispropotionate amount of
unique calls from their own country then the rules should allow for the removal
of those unique calls. In almost every contest there are always some unique
calls. A lot of times they are just busted callsigns. The key words are
disproportionate numbers.

I made a comment about WRTC stations always having an endless supply of
stations to work. The same feeling exists on the East coast with a seemingly
endless supply of EU and on the West coast with the large number of JA's. I
stand corrected. There are times when calling CQ gets very few responses. Even
the WRTC teams did experience those moments. The use of a packet spot might be
advantageous to them or it won't! This is where operator skill and knowledge
comes in. When a run dries up, this might indicate the need for a band change
and that's what they did.

Finally, the use of packet spotting will continue to exist whether we like it
or not. Perhaps, as Jeff suggested, penalizing a country's team might offer a
signifcant enough of a deterrent to disuade such practices; especially if it is
made known that the final positioning was directly affected. by these, few
over-zealous supporters. A prime example of this was when a fan at a baseball
game reaches over to touch or catch a foul ball that a fielder might have
caught. The outcome of the game might have, as a result of this fan's over
zealous action, been altered in favor of the opposing team.