Re: [CQ-Contest] ZEROLAND QSO PARTY

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ZEROLAND QSO PARTY
From: James <wimpyvo2max@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 09:20:26 -0800
>From the ZQP rules:

"*Zeroland Expedition*:
      A temporary station setup in a Zeroland state in which the
operators do not reside using temporary antennas (put the antenna up
for the contest and take it down after the contest)."

"*Exchange:  US State or Canadian Province or “DX”..."

===

Why would a Zerolander go to the trouble of setting up a remote field
site to only hand out a State?  They can do that from their home QTH.
There will be at least several other stations on the air from each
state, and so the Expedition's exchange will have no value added.

A friendly suggestion would be to consider changing the exchange to
State plus County.  That will give Zerolanders an incentive to set up
expedition stations in remote counties and it will give a raison
d'etre for mobiles to want to drive from county to county.  They will
have something of unique value -- a rare exchange -- to hand out.

I'm not a county hunter but I think the prospect of having mobiles
buzzing around both 7-land and zeroland on the same weekend seems like
a delicious proposition, plus I'd like the added challenge of managing
two sets of logs.  It also sets up the very interesting possibility of
a mobile darting in and out of both contests (western NE and eastern
WY, for example), with the mobile operator enjoying the challenge of
managing two logs.

I do think you're on the right track in the sense that operating the
same weekend as 7QP is probably synergistic and could make that
weekend into a "don't miss" on the contester's calendar.

73 Jim K6VAR