Re: [CQ-Contest] Terrain and antennas

To: "'Bryan Edwards W5KFT'" <w5kft@nts-online.net>, <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Terrain and antennas
From: "Peter Chamalian" <w1rm@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 06:56:50 -0400
For the price of the ARRL Antenna Handbook, you will get a most powerful
modeling program - HFTA.  N6BV has perfected it over the years and the
results will give you a pretty clear picture of what to expect from various
antenna heights.  Dean's write up is very easy to follow and you will have
everything you need to do the job except the terrain maps which you can
download at no charge.

When I lost my tower in 2002 as a result of a massive ice storm, I used it.
I had a tower at 90 feet but the model told me that given my terrain, 80
feet was the best compromise given that I use a tribander and a separate 40
meter yagi.

Pete, W1RM