[CQ-Contest] Cheatiing-Big Amps or Kids Operating?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Cheatiing-Big Amps or Kids Operating?
From: Lloyd Cabral <kh6lc@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 12:01:25 -1000
    I'd like to make a comment or two regarding this thread.     First, having
a dozen big amps
sitting in this shack doesn't make them guilty of anything.     I can tell you
firsthand that having
amps with lots of headroom is more an issue of an amp surviving a contest
weekend at the legal
limit than running illegal power.   How many of us have experienced so called
"legal limit" amps
going up in smoke during a contest weekend?
    I believe it's much more important to focus on all the young people in
those photographs.
The future of our hobby depends on them.    Yes, the big station can send a
mixed message to
them but the fact remains, they're there and enjoying themselves.    Today's
youth have many options
as to how they spend their time.   One only has to look around at any hamfest
or club meeting to see
how vitally important it is for each of us to do whatever we can to involve
young people in our
wonderful but graying hobby.    Reach out, welcome them, mentor them.
Remember, someone
took the time to help us get started.    It's our turn now.

                                       73 & Aloha,
                                       Lloyd Cabral, KH6LC
                                       Kea'au HI