[CQ-Contest] Post contest log massaging (the issue in a nutshell - maybe

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Post contest log massaging (the issue in a nutshell - maybe?)
From: kr2q@optimum.net
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 19:34:26 +0000 (GMT)
Here is MY 2 cents, not in any way to be construed as having anything to do
with any
contest committee with which I may be associated.

Some entrants (aka "competitors") have lost sight of what it means to be a
competitor versus
what it means to be the judging/adjudicating body.

Entrants compete during the designated period.  After the contest, IMHO, they
should NOT
be reviewing their log with the intent of finding "errors" for the purpose of
CORRECTING
them.

The role of the judges/adjudicators is to review the log and find "errors" and,
as appropriate,
apply the mandated deductions and penalties, yielding an adjudicated final
score.

Attempting to classify various logged elements as "typographical mistakes" is
simply a very
slippery slope.  If you log, KKKRRR as a complete callsign, sure, that is very
likely a
"typographical error."  If you log KR2QQ (me), is that a copying error or a
logging error?
More difficult to say.  If you work NV6O but logged N4BO (copying error),
should the entrant
review some database or other knowledge base (cluster, other logs, or other
ops) and then
somehow "determine" that was really NV6O and CHANGE THE CALL after the contest
ends?

I am guessing that "most" of us would not have an issue "removing" KKKRRR from
the log
 (nobody is going to get dinged for that as a NIL).  I am guessing that most of
us (but not
all), would say that correcting N4BO into NV6O is out-and-out cheating.

Solution?  If possible, "No post contest changing of anything in the log."  I
mean really, how
many KKKRRR errors are there going to be?  Enough to alter the place of finish?
 I sure hope
not!  For me, both of the "other" types were errors made during the heat of the
battle and
should STAND as an included part of the log.  That is what is genuinely
REPRESENTATIVE
of YOUR ACTUAL EFFORT as recorded DURING the contest...and for me, that is what
should
count.

So, in summary....
Entrants should compete DURING the contest.  Judges should adjudicate after the
contest.

de Doug KR2Q