Re: [CQ-Contest] Monitor Your Steam Out - save some for the Contest !

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Monitor Your Steam Out - save some for the Contest !
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:19:29 -0700
Not usually being one to throw a wet rag on things, but here goes.

There are many, many variables which affect perceived signal strength.

1. AGC on many transceivers is not linear.

2. S-meters on many transceivers are not linear and often poorly calibrated,
much less calibrated to a universally agreed upon standard. .

3. Human ears are not linear.

4. Transmitter watt meters are often not linear and are often not even close
to calibrated.

5. ALC can affect signal strength.

6. I could go on forever.

I'm not saying that people are not cheating and/or fooling themselves, but I
gently suggest that one really needs a good understanding of metrology and
how RF physics works to draw ironclad conclusions.

73,

Hank, W6SX

As for an amp only adding a couple DB's,..what? ...I think this is an insult