Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL language on what is "assisted"‏

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL language on what is "assisted"‏
From: Scott Monks <scottmonks@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:07:10 -0500
I think most everyone is missing the point, at least from my perspective:
> So what definition of "use" fits here? If I buy a tube of skin cream
> and give it to you, have I "used" it?

The problem is not the definition, it is the ethics of the involved.  If the
person dose not respect the "gentle-person's ethics" of being a ham then they
will not respect ANY definition and will just do whatever necessary to try to
win.

And, if the general idea of the idea is similar to the interpretation of the
above (a good question!), then the best idea is to find a person that is not
interested in entering this competition and have them set down next to the
operating position and to call our all of the listings from whatever source
they can find and if the operator uses them he is not "assisted" but just using
info that he overheard in the room!

Maybe the problem is the concept of ethics (a very subjective term!), but
however it is defined or applied there will always be people that view the
concept differently -- that's just how life always works!

Just my deflated two-bits,

Scott  AA0AA