Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL language on what is "assisted"

To: "'David Gilbert'" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL language on what is "assisted"
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:34:17 -0400
You win $100.

If you want to know more about the intentions, take a look at the ARRL
Contest Advisory Committee Report on CW Skimmer, which is attached to the
CAC's November 2008 semi-annual report to the ARRL Board:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About%20ARRL/Committee%20Reports/January/Doc%
252029.doc

In re-reading the report, and comparing the CAC's recommended language with
the language on the ARRL web site, I'm surprised to find that they're rather
different. The Programs and Services Committee accepted all of the CAC's
recommendations on CW Skimmer, so I naturally assumed something close to our
recommended wording would be incorporated into the rules. As is often the
case, there was some delay in posting the rule revisions, and  I'm
embarrassed to admit that I never checked back to see what wording was
ultimately used. The fact that different wording was used is a shame, as we
spent months crafting our recommendations.

The CAC did not discuss whether sending spots to a network should be
permitted for Single-Op entrants. Therefore, it is not addressed in the
recommended wording. That wording doesn't prohibit the practice for
Single-Ops, and I believe that's been the precedent for decades. The wording
that made it into the official rules, however, specifically prohibits "Use
of spotting... nets (operating arrangements involving other individuals,
DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, multi-channel decoders such as CW
Skimmer, etc)". That, in my opinion, bans the sending of spots by
Single-Ops. I don't know whether, by using this wording, ARRL intended to
ban the practice of Single-Ops sending spots to a network. All I can say is
that the CAC did not address this issue and our recommended wording would
have permitted it. Again, I think that's consistent with long-standing
practice. Such a position may not satisfy the ultra-purist, but in my
opinion it does not in any way help the Single-Op who sends spots to a
network (which, I might add, probably hurts because it takes extra time.)

I should also note that the CAC recommended wording was carefully crafted to
allow the use of panadapters with spectrum and waterfall displays, including
those provided by CW Skimmer. That's why we recommended our definitions for
"Spotting Information" and "Automated" be included in the rules or the ARRL
contest FAQ. Unfortunately, they're not included in either.

I can understand the accusation of "sloppy wording", but you can imagine
that from where I sit that stings a little.

73, Dick WC1M