Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Exchange

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Exchange
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:52:29 -0500
This year's contest was unusual for me.  I run 100W into an 18 ft
vertical.  I also have an awful callsign for CW:  VE3HLS, which gets
mangled into SLS, HLI, HRS and other variations.  I spend a LOT of time
repeating my call and all three of the N1MM macros with my call have the
HLS suffix slowed down by a few wpm.

This year, I operated with the same setup from my parents' home as I
look after my elderly Mother who fell and fractured her pelvis
recently.  I sent out far fewer repeats than in the past.  Most people
nailed my call on the first try (in fact, most QSOs were established on
the first call) and if they asked for a repeat it was because they
copied HLS but not the prefix!  A complete reversal of past experience.

This must be a better location to operate from than my home QTH.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS a.k.a. HLI, HRS, HRI, SLS, SLI....