Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012

To: <w1md@cfl.rr.com>, "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:36:52 -0400
The FCC rules explicitly state that the control op must be present at "the
control point" unless the station is automatically controlled (e.g., a beacon.)
The wording makes it clear that the control op must be in a position to ensure
proper operation at all times and to take immediate control of the station if
and when needed.

I'm not sure how the rules worked in the distant past, but I believe that at
one time the "station license" and "operator license" were separate things, and
the station license specified a fixed location. I believe somewhere along the
line the FCC merged these concepts such that both licenses are granted to a
person, and the station location was no longer fixed. This freed us to
designate any set of equipment at any location in the USA as "my station",
without having to use the /P suffix.

The distinction between the station licensee and the control operator licensee
is still important. If you do a guest op at my station, I would be the station
licensee and I would designate you as the control operator. In that case you
must identify the station with my call sign, WC1M. But it's also legal for you
to be both the station licensee and control operator, essentially taking over
the equipment at my location as "your station". In that case, you must use your
own call sign identification.

I believe in the first case, my station log must indicate that you are the
designated control operator. That's not hard -- the Cabrillo file has separate
fields for the station call sign and operator call sign, and I believe most
guest ops fill them in properly. I wouldn't be surprised if the FCC considered
that sufficient, so I don't think Marty is correct that the rules have been
violated by most guest ops over the past 30 years. In the second case, you
would use your own station log. I think technically you need to note the new
QTH of your station, and there's a Cabrillo fields for that. It's not clear,
however, whether enough information is put in that field to satisfy the FCC.
You could use the Address fields, but the contest sponsor will send your plaque
there.

Now, the case where an operator, licensed or not, is using the control
operator's privileges requires a special note in the log. This common
occurrence at multi-op stations is rarely, if ever, documented in the log. I
don’t think there are any fields in the Cabrillo file that would suffice.

While we're on the subject, FCC rules also require that the station "must
transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the end of each
communication". It's not clear to me whether "communication" in this context
means after every "over" or at the end of the contact. I think it's the latter
because there's also a requirement to transmit your station call sign at least
every 10 minutes. Either way, I think most US stations respect this rule during
contests, but I sure wish DX stations would do so as well. I wonder how many
licensing authorities require an ID on each contact, and whether any contest
sponsors would be interested in cracking down on DX stations that violate that
rule?

73, Dick WC1M