[CQ-Contest] VE7FO's Contest Newbies Set to Spook the Spectres err... Sp

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] VE7FO's Contest Newbies Set to Spook the Spectres err... Spectrum This Hallowe'en Weekend
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 02:03:22 -0700
You may recall announcements like this from last season. Altogether we ran about 10 op training sessions built around a variety of contests. Most trainees attended rather sporadically but some hung in there and are starting to turn in credible performances. It takes a lot longer than I thought it would to turn a newbie into a confident and reasonably competent contest op. Still, 10 sessions at four hours each is less time than one 48 hour test so I guess I shouldn't be impatient.

We're doing it again this season and WW SSB is our first outing. We had so many people sign up that we're running two stations with a total of 3 op positions.

VE7IO will be M/2 or M/M - haven't decided yet. 2 legal limit amps, 40-10m SteppIR @ 56 ft, Classic tribander @ 64 ft, 2 80m dipoles at 40 and 100 ft. I think lots of folks will hear us. Our more experienced ops will be here and will op in four hour blocks.

VA7XB will be M/S. Running 100W to Steppir vertical and 40m dipole. This station is set up to provide a "Get Your Feet Wet" experience. Sessions are 2 hours. The idea is to expose club members to contesting without being expected to commit to the formal program. If they decide after half an hour that this isn't for them and want to go home, no problem. If they choose to sign up, that's great.

Anyway, if you work VE7IO or VA7XB and happen to think of it, please give the op a couple of words of welcome to contesting. You would be amazed if you could see the effect this has on the beginners.

73, Jim    VE7FO