Re: [CQ-Contest] down the path with Dave

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] down the path with Dave
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 15:32:16 -0700
Using skimmer requires a completely different tool set to use it effectively.

How much skill does it really take to turn a knob?

Mike W0MU

On 12/2/2012 10:05 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Tom, I think maybe you misunderstood where I'm coming from. Unlike Joe, W4TV, I believe that using Skimmer is just like using a cluster, only more powerful. I have never argued for Skimmer use *not* putting someone in the assisted category. I was simply trying to refute Charly's argument that it takes all the skill out of operating.

One of the interesting things about CW Skimmer is that it is cumulative. For a single op, that means that you can mute the Skimmer SDR while you're transmitting, and it will pick up with spotting as soon as you stop. I see this happen all the time here - Skimmer will spot a station or two as soon as I am not transmitting any longer.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.