Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP scoring

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP scoring
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:34:04 -0500
Hurrah for "blood and guts" operation! Yes, by all means, we should, no, we MUST penalize folks for the errors of their ways. Lettuce go all the way, have "monitors" at all the "big guns" stations to make sure they don't do anything dastardly like running 1 minute over the allotted time, or cranking up the power to 2.5 KW (slightly above the 100 watts permitted by the rules), etc.

And, we should discourage any newcomers, particularly in the CW NAQP because they might not be sending "cut numbers, compressed code" and other things the "real contest ops" do - and they might be sending at (horrors, all horrors) at well below 35 WPM. And they might even be running QRP, which slows down the "blood and guts" operators.

I've scoured the contest calendar, and can find no place where "blood and guts" is encouraged, so we must be the leaders! After all, contesting in particular and ham radio in general is attracting membership by leaps and bounds, so we need an elitist contest. Cull out the riff raff, they're not worth cultivating in our elitist "Party."

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time