Re: [CQ-Contest] HFTA and 15 mts stack

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] HFTA and 15 mts stack
From: "Edward Sawyer" <SawyerEd@Earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:53:42 -0500
My experience has been that you cannot use HFTA to decide on the actual
optimum gains of antenna systems.  HFTA seems to have a formula that simply
adds 2.5dB gain to 2 phased yagis, no matter what the spacing.  Doubt it?
Plug in 2 yagis at exactly the same height and it will still give you a 2.5
dB gain vs one at the same height.  I believe that what HFTA does is apply
the 2.5dB gain to the height that is midway between the 2 yagis and then
calculates the take off angles depending on the terrain.

I love HFTA but not for deciding optimum  spacing for gain.  Instead for
deciding different heights of the antennas.  For instance, if you have 2 -
44ft boom 15M yagis at 13m spacing, is the best heights of low antenna at 8,
10, 12, 15, or 20M?  For that, its fantastic.

By the way, I have 2 - 15M 6el 44 ft long boom yagis at 28 and 70 ft.  And
they "kick tail!".

Ed  N1UR