Re: [CQ-Contest] Multiple Contest Callsigns

To: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Multiple Contest Callsigns
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 12:27:18 -0500
Couple of things.  Current rules say you have to take 30 minutes in an off
period.  My proposal says that nowhere do the legal on times overlap.  With
or without the separating off time.  If the rule was operate one call and
then operate the other with no going back, then the off time is
superfluous.

I just think that from the first call sign, you should have to dump your
run frequency and the second log have the same disadvantage as anyone else
starting the contest late.   It might be as simple as you must change
frequency to start the second log.  A run frequency on 40/20m is a valuable
commodity.

This is the method that looks most like two unrelated logs, and does the
least change in how records work. That does require that neither log can
exceed the 24 hour limit.

As to only working club members or such, for as long as I can remember,
getting on for a little while, and looking around for club members to work,
has been going on forever, and is legal now.

Other variations are...just to feed discussion...

1) You can change callsigns once for your first contact after 1400Z Sunday,
or after 12 hours "on" time with the first call, whichever occurs first.
 Must change run frequency at the switch.  Log times for both not exceed 24
hours.

2) Open changes.  Any "on" time for the second call sign must lie within a
legal "off" time of the first call sign AND VICE VERSA.  This means that a
call flip keeps the prior call off the air for at least a half an hour,
preventing very short call flips just to pick up a multiplier.  Operator
doing a sign change may not retain use of a running frequency, and must
move at least 500 Hz on CW or 2.5 kHz on SSB for a new run frequency, and
may not reuse the original frequency for running for at least ten minutes.
 Neither log may exceed the 24 hour limit.  This means that any station
gets his six hours of sleep without losing competitively in the single
operator competitions against someone who changes call signs.

East coast call sign changes at 1 or 2 am EST might actually perk up that
three hour dead zone for the west coast guys on low bands.

Hope someone besides us is reading this.

73, Guy.