Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Practice Problem

To: KB1H <kb1h@ct.metrocast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Practice Problem
From: Rick Tavan N6XI <rtavan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:29:39 -0800
If I were in your position, I would stand firm on the frequency. It's
"mine" now. Of course, no one owns any frequency. If I grab a frequency and
the previous occupant comes back quickly, I realize it wasn't exactly
vacant and I leave without hard feelings. But when a frequency goes vacant
for several minutes, it is up for grabs. The late returnee should realize
this and give it up, perhaps with a brief tussle. The price one pays for
the power of SO2R is that sometimes you spend too much time away and you
lose a run frequency.

Of course, there is a lot of adrenaline flowing, so not all SO2R ops will
realize how long they've been gone. And some are loud enough and aggressive
enough to take back "your" recently acquired frequency. If you lose the
ensuing frequency fight, you can feel taken advantage of. But don't sulk
too long - go find another frequency!

73,

/Rick N6XI

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM, KB1H <kb1h@ct.metrocast.net> wrote:

> During the recent ARRL DX CW contest the experience of someone obviously
> using SO2R and trying to hold a frequency while going away for some other
> QSO reared it's head on 40M.
>
> Finding what seemed to be a clear frequency at 7003.5 after QRLing many
> times with no answer only to have a station come back after 2-3 minutes
> starting to call CQ. OK, so I can understand how this can happen even
> though we worked 2 or 3 stations before the US station returned. Should I
> leave the frequency? Maybe.  Then he disappears for another 2-3 minutes. We
> work some more DX. Then he comes back calling CQ again. The time gone was
> just too long to expect a clear frequency when returning.
>
> I really can't remember what we finally did. I think we moved but it was
> irritating for 15 minutes I am sure ruining both our rates. Next time we
> just will have to see who wins.
>
> 73
> Dick - KB1H
>
> Visit "The Barnstormers Contest Group - NZ1U"
> website http://www.qsl.net/kb1h/
>
> 24/7 Webcam Link on the website
>
> Email KB1H@arrl.net   YCCC----> http://www.yccc.org/
>
> KB1H DXSpider Node ------>  dxc.kb1h.com port 7300