[CQ-Contest] Not real SO2R nor SO5R

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Not real SO2R nor SO5R
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 08:04:56 +0700
Way too many SO2R operations are fake.  That is, too often, the robot CQ
machine is left on only to hold a frequency while the live operator is
running on a different band.  Even with the cursed Skimmer and other
automated nonsense, it is very difficult to work a robot.  I can hear the
robot station, but no one is at home there.

I hear many contest CQs that leave so little listening time between CQ
transmissions that sending my call sign takes longer than his listening
pause.  Ah ha, a robot.

I guess there are stations equipped to hold frequencies with a robot on
SEVERAL bands at once.

With Skimmers, fake spots, SO5R, multiple remote stations, log-washing, and
other polution operations, today is certainly not my simple fun teenage
years of ham radio contesting (1950s).  73,

--
Charly, K4VUD, now HS0ZCW