Re: [CQ-Contest] Not real SO2R nor SO5R

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Not real SO2R nor SO5R
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:43:34 -0500
Charly, I don't think that is right. I'm sure there are many SO2R operators who are using software (as TRLog used to do) which will resume CQing when not actively transmitting on the second band. This gives the illusion that the op is listening on the run frequency while he works S&P on another band, and I don't particularly like it, but in a contest with a short exchange a good SO2R op will not be AWOL on the run frequency for very long. Now, potty breaks are another issue entirely :-) .

As for the short pauses between CQs ... it's been my experience that many/most operators rely on timing to determine whether a station is calling them or someone else near the same frequency. If they don't hear you *start* your reply in the first half-second or so, they conclude that you weren't calling them. Once they have reached that conclusion, there's no reason not to resume the CQ.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.