Re: [CQ-Contest] Single Op/Get Scores Assisted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Single Op/Get Scores Assisted
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 11:15:57 -0700
Online gaming has created something called esports. This is where a group of people complete head to head in online games such as Battlefield 3, Call of Duty and other titles. There are some big prizes that can come along with winning and sponsorships etc.

To make esports better they are pushing for the makers of the games to include "Spectator" mode where they can choose who to watch so that others can watch and then drawn into the competition itself.

These people are serious gamers and the ability to show off the game just brings more players into the game. Players commonly stream their game play on sites such as Youtube or Twitch.tv and they have lot of viewers.

I think the contesting community is missing out on a grand opportunity to show off our SPORT because many of the top tier competitors are fearful someone might glean some piece of competitive data from the scoreboard. If the Esports community has rallied around spectator mode where there are real prizes at stake, is there really any reason we can't work on something similar for contesting where egos, and plaques are the are stake.

My question to the top dogs in contesting are you really interested in promoting our sport or are you more concerned about your own accomplishments?

Can you imagine a web page that might be showing the real time logging and video to go along with the contest. A page that is listing the top 10 rate ops, top ten scores, top 10 mults,etc and be able to check out other participants in your neck of the world. I realize that not all ops will want a camera stuck in their face for 48 hours. In a CW contest it would be fun to hear the comments of N2IC or K5ZD, K3LR ops etc as they work a rare one or just reeled off a great run.

If your competitor is watching you, they are flat out losing.

I think this would be a load of fun for those not as competitive and might encourage others sitting on the fence to jump in make some contacts.

The opportunities to sell our sport and hobby are endless, if people will start to embrace things like the scoreboard.

Mike W0MU