Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HF Championship

To: cq-contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IARU HF Championship
From: "XV4Y (Yan)" <xv4y@nature-mekong.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 06:27:26 +0700
Hi Rick,

I don't want to interfere with your plans, but just for your information, 80m
has been quite surprising to me.
I am running a standalone 80m beacons with 1W to a low above ground OCF Dipole.

I have received regular and reliable spots from all Australia and Tasmania,
starting 1h before my sunset.
That's not surprising since it is a north->south propagation.
The same stations like VK7DIK are also spotting NA stations.

However, two evenings NN6RF also spotted me several time around 11.30z but not
yesterday.
It is surprising because for me we don't have common darkness...

No spots from EU stations or JAs even we have common darkness, but perhaps my
antenna is not good to JA and EU is a tougher path with people there using
smaller antennas.

All in all that does not mean you will be able to score plenty of QSOs to NA or
SEA.
I, for one, don't plan to go on 80m. I will perhaps do some 40m at sunset if
the other bands are empty.

WSPR is a great tool and running it for one day you can then dig the statistics
and learn the opening hours to one direction.
These are "best case" opening hours as in practice you will not have a CW QSO
with 100w while WSPR can decode 1W transmissions.

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y