Re: [CQ-Contest] Automation = lost essential skills

To: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Automation = lost essential skills
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:12:32 -0600 (CST)
How likely is it that the "Sunday driver" will send in a log?  Off hand, most
likely "not very"...

So you have two choices... correct the log to the zone he (or she) SHOULD have
sent, and hope for the best... or log what was sent.

Now it comes down to the log checking automation.

If this station... let's call him DM00SUN for the sake of argument... only
shows up in one log, there's no way for the log check system to know if you
made a mistake or not.

But if DM00SUN show ups in multiple logs, and (s)he was sending a serial number
instead of a zone... the pattern should be pretty clear as to what they were
doing.

OTOH... let's presume that DM00SUN shows up in 5 logs.  You logged 59 14, the
next guy 59 02, then 59 03, etc.  This would indicate to me, as a human log
checker, that You logged what you THOUGHT should have been sent, NOT what was
sent.  Therefore, the logged QSO was clearly incorrect as logged.

Now consider again Randy's example of 7O2A.  If you logged what the computer
said was the zone for Yemen, and not the zone for Socotra, even though the
correct zone was being sent... you  got dinged.

Bottom line is that you can't control what the other station is sending.

Therefore... my advice is Log What Is Sent, NOT What You Expect.

And make a note somewhere to tell a human being, should this 1 Q (or others
like it) make a significant change to your score that affects your standing in
the results, that you logged what was sent, not what you thought was right.
Because you might not be right... as demonstrated with the real 7O2A, as
opposed to the hypothetical DM00SDUN.

73