Re: [CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contestest or Dxpeditions

To: w7dra <w7dra@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Travelling for Contestest or Dxpeditions
From: Charles Harpole <hs0zcw@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:51:47 +0700
The travel standards in Asia are much different and not at all easy.
Several nations do not allow transmitters or even receivers to be brought
into the country.  Some have long delays waiting for licenses and some have
no license for some people or for all.

I have traveled with radios in VU, 9N, A5, XW, HS, some several times, and
know about some others.

​None of these, and most surrounding, want NO radios brought in without
prior written permits and some frequency bands are banned.
Most want you to explain what you are TAKING OUT, also.

I never lie to customs agents.  But, I travel with the IC706 split with the
head in one bag and the back part in a different bag.  Radios as large as
the K3 are a target because it says TRANSCEIVER right on the front and is
too large not to attract notice.

Any ham headed to Asia should make careful inquires at least six months
prior to travel to local hams, but not in Burma where there are NO hams.

So, you cant say all places are just a walk in....... even in the park.

73, Charly HS0ZCW, A52UD, 9N7UD, VU3CHE (and VU4), XW1UD, and K4VUD

Charly, HS0ZCW