[CQ-Contest] Old bones can be DX

To: Contest Internet <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Old bones can be DX
From: Charles Henry <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 06:04:59 +0000
Almost every ham has dreamed of being DX and contesters likely more so.But with
the graying of the hobby, many of us have to admit that goal has slipped away
even though our lifetime of working has finally given us retirement freedom and
some cash to go on a big trip.What to do??  There are places I feel sure are
great DX experiences, not over-subscribed with contenders, and above all are
possible for people no longer spring chickens.
Bhutan, A5, is one of the easiest due to a station set up in a lodge already,
established licensing routines, easy arrival, and low demands for gray haired
bodies.  It is a situation of, basically, walk in and operate.  (de A52UD)
Nepal, 9N, has a well-established licensing routine, many ham-antenna-friendly
hotels, easy arrival, low physical demands, but a small radio needs to be
taken.  (de 9N7UD)
Thailand, HS, has the national club station of RAST open to club members and
those with valid license from any nation, has a near by hotel, and, given
sharing with others, is basically a walk in and operate situation with no need
to get a HS license for yourself.  (de HS0ZCW)
Countries I know about that need rather much more help from local hams,
licensing is not a snap, but are super easy for "old bones" to get to and
operate.......... India (de VU3CHE), Bangladesh, Lao PDR (de XW1UD), Cambodia,
and Vietnam.  Of course, Europe or USA have well known easy operations and
arrivals.  Can any one add info for the "Old Bones set" about Africa or South
America?
Unlike Central America, for example, there are other places we gray-hairs can
get to that are not already "taken" or are much less likely to have lots of
other contest operators also in-country.
I say, never abandon our dreams.  73, Charly K4VUD