Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2018 qualifications

To: Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC 2018 qualifications
From: Hrvoje Horvat via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 10:41:54 +0000 (UTC)
From aspect of contesting in EU, for many serious teams it means no M/S
operation for next 2 years - no hanging out, no guest ops, no young ops.
In our team - 9A1P - we decided that 9A1UN will be our WRTC runner and 9A1P is
off from M/S as it seems.This time I'm not part of qualifications and for me
contesting in this two years will be mostly based on watching cqcontest.net -
eventually some guest operating.
I dont know what was the real motivation for such change towards M/S. If
intention was to reduce possible M/S playout, it could be reduced from 6 to 4
events but with same 1.0 weight. Saying that barbeque guys can qualify is
nonsense. Who saw such cases on WRTC team leader positions in the past? But we
can see many mainly M/S guys making excellent results - one of many examples,
OM8A silver medal guys.
On the other hand rules allow team leaders to pick just about any team mate.
This team mate can be the one that makes 0 qsos - and rules allow for half of
WRTC participants to be choosen that way. So, in my case, if I'm lucky and my
friend 9A1UN qualifies, he can choose me - and I wasnt even there for the
barbeque.
Then we have another story with low power, where you can see some really
amazing scores being done. Manipulation with power level in this case is much
easier. On high power you can help yourself with few db, but on low power we
can easly talk about 10 or more db difference - and all this is left for
contest organizers to recognize? I doubt any but CQWW and RDXC can put up
resources to investigate such cases.
73,Hrle - 9A6XX