Re: [CQ-Contest] [WriteLog] Updating CTY Files

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [WriteLog] Updating CTY Files
From: Chuck Dietz <w5prchuck@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 13:39:06 -0600
Sorry for the bandwidth on this reflector of something that might have been
better on a Writelog reflector.
I finally got the Update cty to work.  I have spent years of trying to
update the cty files. Maybe this will help someone else who is as computer
challenged as I obviously am.
All the instructions say to extract the update file into the Writelog
folder, but it is the Writelog Programs folder: "C:\Program Files
(x86)\WriteLog\Programs"
NOT: "C:\Program Files (x86)\WriteLog"
The instructions on the cty website say:
 "Save WL_CTY.DAT <http://www.country-files.com/cty/wl_cty.dat> to one of
the following directories, depending on your operating system:

Windows 2000:Windows 98:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\WriteLogWindows XP:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\WriteLogWindows Vista:C:\ProgramData\WriteLogWindows 7:
C:\ProgramData\WriteLog"

Windows 10 and Writelog 11.31
If I open Writelog and go to "File" and click "Web Update Data Files" Then
click "Download"  the message comes up: "Download of Web Update File Failed"

I close Writelog
I download wl_cty-2514 and extract it into "C:\Program Files
(x86)\WriteLog\Programs" I replace the existing files with the same name.
 I open the start menu and run “Convert CTY to WriteLog” as administrator.
(I have to keep clicking on "Go to File Location" so I can right click the
actual program to run as administrator instead of the shortcuts.)
The convert cty program churns for almost a minute "Working Please QRX"
 Then it says "All Done" at the bottom
I close this window
I open Writelog
I type "Version" into the call window