Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW survey results

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW survey results
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 10:37:46 -0500
Pete - N4ZR said:

"What I don't understand is why a *full* set of 24-hour overlays isn't a
good idea.  A decade ago, several of us ran a survey, and a plurality of
those responding said that it would cause them to operate as much or more."

That's what people "say" but take a look at what they "do".  WPX is 36 hours
and Russian DX and IARU are 24 hours.  The number of competitors in those
contests that do the "full time allotted" is not any different than the
number of contesters in ARRL DX or CQ WW that do 43 - 44 hours plus (42 - 46
hours is really the defacto "full monty" for virtually all competitive
single ops - a few mutants not withstanding).  I personally usually do 43 -
45.

So I am very skeptical of going "down in operating hours" thinking that it
will actually raise the activity on the bands.  I have yet to see that
demonstrated in practice.

The 24 hour category in CQ WW is indeed popular.  But its not demonstrating
that its generating more activity.  Simply that people are choosing that
category if they are less active.  I personally agree that making in Single
Radio - Non assisted - makes no sense given the reason for the dialog in the
first place.

Ed  N1UR