Re: [CQ-Contest] JA's long time passing

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] JA's long time passing
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 10:06:43 -0500
Some pretty good JA rates are still available from the west coast.  Last
September N6RO in the CQWW RTTY reported that from his 2-operator
multi-multi that 780 JA QSOs were completed out of 2806, or about 28% of
all QSOs.

But yes, not like it used to be, especially on the more difficult path to
the east coast.  I remember those "good old days" , working even 5- and
10-watt mobiles in downtown Tokyo during multiple 100-hour runs in from the
east coast during the late 1970's sunspot peak; and listening to W7RM
running JAs with his second antenna part-way down the cliff to lessen
stateside QRM off the back!

Is it just a coincidence that the number of licensees and activity
decreased as economic troubles overtook the prosperity of the 1970's &
1980's?

Dave K3ZJ