Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules Question M2 CQ WW

To: k5zd@charter.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rules Question M2 CQ WW
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 17:00:22 -0600
I guess my definition of transmitter never meant transmitted signal. I failed to find this definition in any radio book I own. If that is what is meant then why not say that? Historically meant "transmitted signal"?

"The log must indicate which transmitter made each QSO. Each transmitter may make a maximum of 8 band changes in any clock hour (00 through 59 minutes)"

What does this mean then? Maybe transmitter should say station? Are people using 10 transmitters thinking they can make 8 band changes per transmitter and not per transmitted signal? The rule makes absolutely no sense if you attempt to allow more than two transmitters. The rule expects transmitter A and transmitter B. I have no clue how people are interlacing transmitters C -Z and the 8 band changes per transmitter (station) into the mix and keeping it all straight. This rule needs to be rewritten in much clearer language.

I think what you are saying and trying to be nice is the intent of the rule was indeed at one time was that it was two transmitters (radios) same for MS. Those two categories have devolved in my mind into categories as you indicate that are now dominated by what should be MM Multi Unlimited stations that have reclassified to other categories by pushing the envelope.

Instead of making categories more competitive for the many it essentially limited it to big super stations. M2 and MS classes used to be where a few guys that did not want to do the 48 hours could get together and have fun and put up big scores with much smaller stations. Now to compete in those classes you have a much bigger station.

I agree that we do need to look at how we need to make the Multi op categories more competitive. What we have now discourages people to participate.

Finally, are there any other definitions that are not what they seem?    :)