Re: [CQ-Contest] What Bugs me

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What Bugs me
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2016 14:11:39 -0800
On Mon,12/5/2016 7:51 AM, robert wrote:
Why can't people wait just a few seconds !

Because they're trying to make rate, and they can find someone else to work faster than waiting for you to finish a Q. It's one thing if you're fast, don't need repeats, the other station doesn't need a repeat, etc. When I'm in S&P mode, I MAY wait through a QSO if I'm QRP. But if I'm running power and don't get the first Q, I'm on to the next signal on the band. Plugging the station's call into N1MM's entry window spots it for me, so I'll him on my next pass.

I don't remember your operating style, so don't take this as personal, but another thing that slows things down is when the running station sends too much to finish a Q and listen for the next caller. If, for example, the running station simply sends TU and pauses for a beat before signing his call, I can dump my call in quickly. But if he sends the other guy's call, QSL, GL, QRZ de K8XXX, I've blown another 10-15 seconds plus the time I waited for the first Q to finish.

If you don't screw around waiting through a Q you missed, it's possible to make pretty good rate S&P. Waiting through Qs when you miss will cut that rate in half.

73, Jim K9YC