Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting - not

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting - not
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:15:30 -0600
V3M here,

I noticed that I was able to work plenty of people on 10m and very few people bothered to spot me. I think people think that the RBN picks up everything. It does not!

I appreciate the people that did spot me and tonight I have seen a big improvement in spots. Maybe the DXers are better about it? Maybe the Contesters do not want to alert their competition? When we were spotted regularly the rates were sustainable at 150ish plus. When no spots the rate was much less. Are people tuning for mini pileups or there are lots of non competitors using spots.

I think we are nearly to the point that we might as well just program in self spotting every 5 minutes or 15 minutes. It would save a bunch of electricity across the globe.

I honestly felt like I should have set up my own skimmer here to spot myself. This would probably be looked on poorly. I am not sure what the difference is anymore. I have a skimmer at home W0MU-1 but I block my callsign from being spotted, should I?

V31MU/W0MU