Re: [CQ-Contest] Station design and ergonomics

To: Contest List <CQ-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Station design and ergonomics
From: Mike Ritz <w7vo@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 16:40:09 +0000 (UTC)
I have my monitors (two) at the same plane as the radio, with the radio set to
the left so I can move the VFO knob with the left hand while using the right
hand to key the keyboard. I've operated at stations with elevated monitors and
found that with my bifocal glasses I ended up with a sore neck. Better to keep
things you need to look at down low, where the close-up part of the glasses
are. Within easy eye reach is also the SWR meter, and within easy left hand
reach is the noise phase cancelling box for the lowbands. which often needs to
be re-adjusted as I move within the bands.

Things that I don't need to get to on a continual basis are on higher shelves
(antenna tuner, antenna switches, etc., but still within reach while seated).
These are things I only need when changing bands, so they can be more
out-of-reach.

Having comfortable headsets surely helps. Make sure they are adjusted as to not
squish your ears. I take a few minute break ever couple of hours to get up and
move around. Just like in an airline on a long flight, it's unhealthy to stay
seated for long periods.

I have a pretty narrow SSB filter in my FT-2000 that can be selected. I don't
like using it unless I have to, as sometimes on weak signals they are easier to
understand when you have the full spectrum of their voice. Of course, when you
are on 20M and there are wall-to-wall signals it's a different matter! If you
are going to use the radio mostly for contesting the 1.9kHz filter will help!

Good luck, and see you in the next contest....

73;
Mike
W7VO