Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Sweepstakes Call History File

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Sweepstakes Call History File
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 00:31:56 -0700
On 10/18/2017 7:50 PM, Lee Buller wrote:
Does anyone have a N1MM+ call history file for CW and Phone Sweepstakes.

I use the feature in N1MM+ to generate call history files from prior logs for the each contest that I regularly work, or that use the same exchange. For example, I use the same CH file for NAQP and NA Sprint, and the same CH file for Makrothen and Stew Perry. I started with my oldest logs, made a CH file and saved it, went to the next year, loaded the prior CH file, used the update feature, saved the file. I repeated that simple procedure until I got to the most recent SS. I repeat the process for each contest. And each year, I update each year's previous CH file with the new log.

Count me among those who view CH files as dangerous. I use them in two ways. First, to alert me to a call that I may have copied wrong, just as I do with Super Check files. Second, to alert me to an exchange that I may have copied wrong. In both cases, I pay special attention to whether or not I'm copying it right, and am more likely to ask for a fill if I'm not sure. And, given that many contesters change their exchanges from time to time by entering a different class or sending a wrong CQ zone or using a different name, depending on CH files for any element of the exchange is a recipe for getting dinged for an error.

A strict interpretation of most contest rules would prohibit use of CH and  Super Check files, because both are information not exchanged during the contest period. But since both are widely used because most hams choose to pretend that they cannot read those rules, not using them would be the equivalent of going into a gunfight with a knife.

73, Jim K9YC