[CQ-Contest] SO2R bashing

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R bashing
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2017 18:40:55 -0400
After every major contest, I see this trend bashing the SO2R ops. (even the
really good ones!)

I'd wager most bashers have never tried SO2R, never read up on it, watched
it in real life or even seen it done on youtube.

I have my thoughts WHY this bashing occurs, but I won't go there.

In a recent post on this reflector someone accused TI7W of keeping his 15m
frequency warm while he (presumably) worked another band.

I was not there in Chris' shack, but I am relatively certain this was NOT
the case.

If you fellas would learn how SO2R *actually* works, you'd perhaps realize
how silly some of your statements/accusations are.

With > 10,000 QSO's, I really doubt TI7W was keeping a QRG warm on a 2nd
band.  I mean, c'mon.

For the big guns, or guys in rare locations in big contests, SO2R (normally)
means constantly flip-flopping between 2 bands and when you are doing it
right (as KL9A/TI7W, ZF2MJ/N6MJ, V26K(AA3B),N9RV,N4YDU, N5DX,  K3WW, N2IC
and a multitude of others do), you should almost not know you are working an
SO2R op whatsoever. Sometimes you simply will not know at all.
Flip/Flop/Flip/Flop. That's when you are running on 2 bands (run/Run or
2BSIQ)..if they are running one band and S&P a second band of course, you
wouldn't know it either.

I entered into the SO2R world around 2 short yrs ago and so I'm very new to
it...and although I'm not nearly in the leagues like the previously
mentioned super ops, there might be one QSO in 20 or 30 you'd know even this
newbie was SO2R (if I hit a wrong key, or got a really really slow caller,
software glitch etc) (not unlike SO1R where you might not hear a caller)

TI7W doesn't need me to defend him, but the whole SO2R bashing is not
necessary.  These guys are using 2 radios, mostly doing it VERY well, and if
they don't come back to you within 0.5 to 1 seconds, there's likely a very
good reason. (sloooow caller on other radio, QRM, QRN, KB error or you're
weak and they just don't hear you at all..same as if they only had one
radio.)  If you happen to catch them on a rare bad moment, move along.

Nobody is keeping a 2nd frequency warm.  With skimmer/RBN etc. in a CW
contests, it's not necessary and it's a needless accusation.

We're in this to have fun, right?

73 de Mike VE9AA

(SO1R-Classic in this particular CQWW CW)

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB