Re: [CQ-Contest] ICOM 7610 & C31XR

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ICOM 7610 & C31XR
From: Terry Zivney <n4tz@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 15:11:42 +0000 (UTC)
The C31XR should not be a problem
However, the ICOM 7610 may be.
I have used TenTec radios and more recently an FTDX5000MPwith closely spaced
monobanders (interleaved 10 & 15, for example)with no problems just with stubs
on low power and just Dunestar600s with high power.
BUT, this past weekend at N1UR for RDXC. Ed had monobanders withadjacent bands
on separate towers. We had Dunestar 600s band passfilters. He had no problem
with his FT1000Mk5 Field but I hadproblems with the new Icom 7610.  In
particular, I needed thepreamp on 15 meters. But, that brought the overload
light on.When the ICOM 7610 goes into overload, things fall apart prettyfast.
Also, you cannot use the DIGI-SEL to add some badly neededextra front-end
selectivity when you want to use the preamps.
BTW, the 7610 (and undoubtedly other radios with the samearchitecture) has a
new type of second radio problem not foundin traditional superhet radios. When
listening on 3505 you willhear the second radio on 7010.  The 1/2 harmonic!
Again, Dunestarsin line.  This is apparently due to the decimation process of
theSDR.
Good luck.
Terry N4TZ