Re: [CQ-Contest] FT8 vs FT4 in the Contest

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT8 vs FT4 in the Contest
From: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2019 07:31:01 -0500
I suspect it was the basic difference between the regular FT 6 message version of a QSO, and the contest committee's choice to dispense with the signal report in favor of the shorter 4 message version of a QSO.  They endorsed use of the NA VHF one already embedded in WSJT-X.

Which of course reduces the amount of time it takes for a normal FT QSO that includes the signal report, by one third.  Which is what contesting is all about after all.

The dichotomy is that one of the stated goals was to encourage non-contesters to get into the fray, but ... that was an accident waiting to happen.  It doesn't bother me.  I logged all the contacts where I sent my info and received the other guys info. I'll let the contest sponsors sort out my log.  I bet I have some NILs.  I'm sure it will be a learning experience for everyone, including the sponsors.

73 - Mark N5OT