Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

To: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>, CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns
From: Ed W0YK <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 07:32:37 -0700
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns Just a decade ago, CW
contest signals with extreme power supply ripple(causing large sidebands
+/-100, +/-300, +/-500 Hz but also out a longerways to kHz in worst cases) were
extremely common from Europe. Today theyare rare to nonexistent and I think the
efforts by contest organizers incalling out these bad signals played a big
part.I have nothing against cleaning up CW keyclicks - for sure I was
botheredby them several times in WPX CW weekend - but on the impact severity
scalethe RTTY Keyclicks made by JA rigs (or unupgraded K3's there may be some
ofthem still left) with FSK keying is way way worse than CW keyclicks.
Thesesame guys go around bragging about how they do FSK keying so they
haveperfect signals. W0YK's Contest University presentation is on-the-nose.Tim