Re: [CQ-Contest] [Skimmertalk] CW Open and the RBN

To: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>, CW Operator's Club <cwops@groups.io>, reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [Skimmertalk] CW Open and the RBN
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 17:30:02 +0000
[Distribution trimmed; groups I'm not subscribed to removed.]

I just grep'd through the logs from my cluster node.  You were mostly spotted
correctly, with a few stray ON2IC's and a couple of N2TC's and N2ICE's in the
mix, so I'd say that it's a demonstration of the challenges of automating
copying code in an HF environment.

One thing I did pick up on was that the error rate increased as your speed
increased.   The skimmer spots showed you mostly running around 34 wpm, but you
did pick up the pace a couple of times to 36-38wpm, and when you did, you were
more frequently mis-copied.

Perhaps an argument could be made that those who like to run faster than 30-34
wpm might be well-served to throw an extra half-space around their calls.

Another argument could be made that folks who use skimmer spots need to tweak
their filters to remove some of the busted spots. I'm a firm believer that
optimizing one's spot filters is key to success (or at least maximizing fun)
when operating assisted.

I didn't notice too many busted spots yesterday (I wasn't very active in CWO,
but I do keep SpotCollector running pretty much all the time) because of my
filtering...but my filters do allow uncertain calls from uncommon entities
through.  Belgium, the Czech Republic, and Denmark (ON, OK, OW) aren't
uncommon, but I do frequently get alerts for Congo and Corsica (TN, TK) on
Wednesdays during the CWTs.

(I also have my node set to reject spots for about 25 busted calls ending in
"CWT" generated by some CWT regulars whom the skimmers have trouble discerning
the final space in "CQ call CWT" transmissions.  I don't think they're
necessarily doing anything "wrong"; it's just a constraint on the technology
involved; an annoyance that a tweak on my end avoids.)

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org