Re: [CQ-Contest] Setting up a QSO Database

To: kq2m@kq2m.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Setting up a QSO Database
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 17:18:08 -0500
Bob,

Sounds like you are looking for suggestions on what general logging program to
use.
Perhaps someone will chime in on what works for them.

I use a contest logging program as by general log.

I use TR-Log and now Trlinux (a version of TR-Log running on linux as my
logging program during contests and outside of contests.  I keep logs by year -
I add all of contest logs to this yearly log after each contest.

I likely could make them into one big log and I have put them in some general
ham radio logging programs a few times but most are written for windows and may
have issues dealing with a lot of contacts - ie more than 100k.  But I have not
tried them all.  I try not to run windows unless I have - see below.

Every so often I upload these logs to the ARRL LOTW - and I use the LOTW to
search if I have worked someone.  I have logs in there for K5TR, WB5VZL and
HR6A. I have over 550,000 contacts in LOTW.  Recently I have started entering
some hand written logs - mainly old general logs from when I started out in ham
radio. And I have entered some HR6A logs - so far only the contacts I made
outside of the ARRL DX SSB contest that I operated from HR6A but I might enter
more if I ever get all my other radio related projects done.  As if.

To enter hand written logs I have most recently been using:

FLE written by DF3CB - it works very well.  It is a windows program.

https://df3cb.com/fle/ <https://df3cb.com/fle/>

As far as scanning logs and hoping to get that converted to a log - I think you
will not get very good results with that method.

YMMV

—
George
K5TR