Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Spotting

To: "kq2m@kq2m.com" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Spotting
From: Randy Thompson <k5zd@outlook.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 03:10:45 +0000
Scoreboards provide one very real value to operators - the opportunity to know
how their competition is doing for score.  Contesting used to be 'man isolated
in basement' vs his own mental fortitude to persevere.  You had to be self
motivated because you had no idea how others were doing. The scoreboards now
give you a view of how the other racers are doing and can provide motivation to
keep pushing whether you are ahead or behind.  They are even more valuable
during part time efforts, where you sit down for awhile and can compete against
the other scores around yours.

Scoreboards are not even close to the value of looking at the DX cluster in
terms of knowing what bands are open, to where, and who is on.  If you have
time to look at the detailed breakdowns in real-time from a scoreboard, you
wouldn't know very much and probably aren't winning anyway.

As for the contest committee rule making...  yes.  The focus was all about the
new Packet thing on VHF and the value of getting real-time spots.  The assisted
rules were written around the concept of station finding consisting of a
callsign and frequency.  As the Internet quickly took over, we suddenly found
there were many other information sources that should have been included.
Watching the solar weather forecast (something I know you do as a SO) is an
example.  If we were writing the rule today we would probably draw a box around
the station and allow Internet and skimmer tools, or we would allow nothing.
Too late.

Things do keep changing.  Self-spotting is a whole new can of worms, but also
looks like it will be with us going forward thanks to ARRL.

Randy K5ZD