[CQ-Contest] NA CW Sprint Exchange, ACK, and Log Deadline

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] NA CW Sprint Exchange, ACK, and Log Deadline
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 12:31:07 -0600
Hi all,

I am reading through the thread on CW Sprint exchanges with interest.  We
might be able to make the rules a bit clearer as to what is a RULE and what
is just a suggestion.  W0YK and I try to keep the rules to a single NCJ
page but there is some room for explanation.

Yes, the sending station's call placement was a convention that originated
some years ago but it was never intended to be a hard-and-fast rule.  But
like many customs, following them results in the smoothest contacts.

It should be noted that regardless of where the sender's call sign is
placed the order of Number, Name, and QTH does not vary.  There is no
intention of making that order a rule either, but confusion (and frantic
typing and tabbing) is reduced if the information is sent in the same order
that logging software expects. 99.9% of the time, we do that, of course.

We have to recognize that sometimes we hit the wrong key or have the
software in the wrong mode (CQ vs S&P) and "stuff happens".  So be flexible
- it's a hallmark of the amateur service.

Acknowledging the contact unambiguously is another area of concern.  A
single "dit" was once enough but with the faster pace of the current
contest, aggressive "jump balls" have made the "dit" barely sufficient in
many instances and often lost.  It would not hurt our overall totals to
send "R" or "TU" (X) to make it easier for everyone.  It would also not
hurt our overall totals to wait until you hear the acknowledgement before
sending your call.  So please, a little slower on the MY CALL key, please.

Thanks to all for their Sprint participation.  We have a tie for most
multipliers ever - at least in the log checking so far - and activity was
very good.  I'm sure the excellent band conditions helped encourage folks
to operate.

Results will be out as soon after the log submission deadline (Feb 11th) as
possible and a final results article will appear soon after that.  Thanks
to the Boring Amateur Radio Club for the hard work.

73, Ward N0AX
NA CW Sprint Manager