Re: [CQ-Contest] Un-hijack "disappointing experience" #2 -- runner not I

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Un-hijack "disappointing experience" #2 -- runner not IDing
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:45:09 -0500
K9YC: "The key to making rate S&P is to NOT wait for someone who doesn't
ID, and/or when you lose a jump ball."

Absolutely!  And in my situation I was giving up some of those who (like
myself) SEARCH and pounce.  Rather, I had a huge (for me, in Maryland)
pileup of stations who had obviously clicked on the spot.  (And what
about the Click & Call op's who properly wait for the runner to ID?  If you
don't hear the ID, click on the next spot, and come back 20 or 90 seconds
later.)

K9YC: "I view signing my call when I'm running as advertising, AND
protecting my run frequency."  That's what I do when I'm running in, say
SS.  In this particular case, I did not need any more advertising.  IDing
every second to fourth QSO gave me all the traffic I could handle.  And,
anyhow,  I planned to move to the next band as soon as the run slowed.
That was 17 minutes, maximum.

And I don't know that IDing every QSO protects my run frequency.  Being
closer to Europe also puts me in the high density Eastern population, where
there are lots of loud stations with narrow filters who can squeeze in on
my little signal and push me away.  That happens a lot more than do runs at
120/hr  :>)

73, Art K3KU