CT-User

Type-ahead Feature - A survey

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Type-ahead Feature - A survey
From: Dave Hawes <34703@vlf03v31.ueci.com> (Dave Hawes)
Date: 15 Feb 94 12:19:57 EDT
Recent messages on the reflector make me wonder if I'm the ONLY ONE who
doesn't regularly use this feature.  "NoWorkDupe No Work in TypeAhead" is
news to me, since I rarely use type ahead, and the likelihood of that
occasional use being on a dupe is very small.

TypeAhead was added, I suppose, to eliminate that brief pause between
finishing callsign entry and pressing Insert.  I touch type, so generally
am ready for Insert very soon after the caller stops sending.  Even with
type ahead, there are those who steadfastly refuse to send the call and
report via CT, but insist on doing it with a paddle.  (Every one of P40W's
QSOs is made with the paddle in one hand, the other hand entering the
callsign on the keyboard.)

Assuming that everybody knows how the TypeAhead feature works, let me ask
the question(s):

1.  Do you regularly use this feature?
2.  Do you send the call with the paddle to eliminate any vestige of a
    pause between the caller's stopping and your starting to send?
3.  Do you feel that the brief pause while completing the callsign is a
    disruption to the "flow" of the pileup?
4.  Is your ability (or lack thereof) to touch type a consideration in
    your chosing to use TypeAhead?

A question related to the NoWorkDupe feature, do you use this feature, or
do you feel that it's just as easy to give the guy a report, and keep
moving on?  Personally, I find that it's ususally easier to just log the
guy, since many guys don't expect the QSO B4 message, and give you a
report anyway.  A more effective message might be SRI QSO B4 73 TEST DE
N3RD, or something like that.

Please send any responses to me directly at the e-mail address below, I
summarize, and post the summary to the CT-USER reflector.

73 - Dave N3RD

Dave Hawes                           Internet: 34703@vlf03v31.ueci.com
Raytheon Engineers, Valley Forge, PA    Voice: 610-254-5167
                                          Fax: 610-254-5134