CT-User

CT 9.01 observations from AA6MC

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: CT 9.01 observations from AA6MC
From: ct-user@sttng.mlo.dec.com (Dick Dievendorff)
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 11:49:43 -0700
I enjoyed using CT 9.01 in the WPX.  I have a couple of minor glitches to
report:

I used the Band map feature quite a bit.  I wasn't connected to packet cluster,
so I used CTRL-ENTER to put in calls as I encountered them.  What I think is
broken is the time field.  Each time I entered a call, the time fields of ALL
entries in the band map window were updated to the current time.  This affected
aging.  Only when I'd gone away for an hour or not worked anyone or entered any
calls into the window did they age away, and they all disappeared at once.

The sunset field is truncated off the window that shows beam heading, distance,
sunrise and sunset.  I saw this reported earlier but didn't remember the
workaround.

I tried to configure two computers as a single op with a network between them.
 I wanted a "hot standby" for a duplicate log, and I had planned to S&P on the
second rig with both rigs connected to CT for frequency control.  One computer
was a 286 with  CT 8.  I wasn't able to get it working unless I chose
MultiSingle which assigned a different sequence number set to each band.
Multi-2 also seemed to assign serial numbers separately on each band.  I ended
up using one computer.  Networking should be acceptable for single ops with
multiple rigs and multiple computers.  Even if the only purpose is to have a
duplicate log in case of a hard disk crash, networking has value.  I ended up
using the other computer for MiniProp and GeoClock.

The band map display is really slick.  I entered calls as I encountered them
and as a result I was able to find holes quite easily to slide into to call CQ.
 I also was able to quickly tune past guys after hearing only a letter or two
of the call.
It would have been nice to be able to delete a call other than letting it age
away (and aging didn't work).  I think I could type the guys call with the rig
tuned to another frequency and that "moved" the call away from the now clear
frequency.  But I should be able to just to delete the call under the band map
"cursor" by some number of keystrokes.

Having another com port for a 2nd rig and a "switch rig" keystroke or two data
entry windows would have been easier for me than working the guy, logging him
on the wrong band and correcting it with up arrow, alt F1 or alt F2, down
arrow.

The exchange message I initially put in, "5NN #" didn't send the serial number.
 I replaced it with "5NN#" (without the intermediate space) and CT started to
send serial numbers.

The QSL program isn't on the CT 9.01 diskette.  I used B2R9 to create a RES
file, R2B8 to create a CT8 file, and created QSL labels from that.  However CT
8.42 crashes with a General Protection fault when it opens a .BIN file created
by this process.

I really liked the 50 line VGA support.  I kept lots of windows open and didn't
have to choose between what things I wanted to see.  I had them all open.
 Rate, score, band map, CW speed, super check partial and check country.  I
didn't try the packet functions in this contest.

I also discovered that my DVP cable reverses the left and right audio.  This
doesn't matter for most people, but when you're trying to wire up two-rig
switch boxes with ON-ON-ON switches it can help make you crazy.  I found this
out when I tried to remove the DVP cable from my system in this CW contest.

Lest I present the wrong impression, these new CT features are well worth a few
"early use" problems.  All had workarounds, and I wasn't hampered by any of
them in any significant way.  I'm looking forward to using the band map feature
in the first contest that packet makes sense for me.  Maybe I'll do CQWW SSB
multi-single.

--
Regards,
Dick