CT-User

max length of RS-232 network link?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: max length of RS-232 network link?
From: fisher@hp-and.an.hp.com (Tony Brock-Fisher)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 09:55:18 -0400
Bob-

The maximum length of the RS-232 runs is not affected by the fact the
you are using the -LOOP mode of CT. It will solely be determined by
the robustness of the particular interfaces you are using, and the
RF integrity of the cables. Check me on this, but I think RS-232
is spec'ed to a max of 500 feet.

Things you can do to help it work:

1. Make all your cables out of coax. RG-58 should work fine.
2. Bring ferrite beads, just in case.
3. If you have trouble, try running the network at a lower baud rate.
4. Ultimately, you could go with optical fiber on the RS-232 links.
   It's expensive, but it works. Talk to Rich, K5NA, who has done it.

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and.an.hp.com

--
Submissions:              ct-user@eng.pko.dec.com
Administrative requests:  ct-user-request@eng.pko.dec.com