CT-User

[ct-user] CT, or not CT? That is the question!

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT, or not CT? That is the question!
From: John Lash <john.lash@yale.edu> (John Lash)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 09:23:31 -0400
I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd be willing to bet that N6TR sees a
fairly healthy increase in new customers over the next couple of months.  I
won't be the first defector, but I'm going to be the next.

The importance of support for a product and its users cannot be overstated.
 Especially when it is such a mission critical application as this one.
Let's face it, we have grown so dependent on this software, scores would be
trememdously harmed if it didn't work consistently and predictably for the
duration of the contest.

I was totally blown away by CT the first time I saw it, and have continued
to be blown away by its incredible features and functionality, ease of use,
intuitiveness, speed, and appearance with each new release.  I have really
been hoping that some other ace programmer would come along and take over
the rights to this software and make it his own, continuing to make it work
as well as it always did, and maybe even add more new features (if there
are any left that it doesn't already have!).  But I don't see that
happening, nor do I get a sense of a positive future for this package.

The comments I have been reading here lately have been scaring me.  So even
though there are four months until the next big contest, I understand the
left coast package has a bit of a learning curve, and so I had better get
started now to give myself time to reprogram my fingers.  Alas, in sleep
deprivation mode, it's the memory of the fingers that runs the software,
not the memory of the brain!

I will stay tuned here, secretly hoping for some good news just in case...

73 and a happy Summer to all (except those in the southern hemisphere),

John Lash
WA2GO

ps I don't know anything at all about the business end of it, but I would
have thought that the userbase was large enough (and committed enough) that
there would be a significant financial incentive for someone to keep CT
going strong.  Am I wrong?

WWW:                      http://www.ve7tcp.ampr.org/Software/ct
Questions:                owner-ct-user@ve7tcp.ampr.org