CT-User

[ct-user] Field Day problems

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Field Day problems
From: Alan Braun <albraun@socketis.net> (Alan Braun)
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 97 12:20:03
My FD group used computer logging for the first time this year, with CT
being our program of choice.  We had several problems.  As background,
this was a 2A operation (low power but not QRP), with only the 2 main
stations using computers which were NOT networked.  We were not using
computer-controllable rigs and so had not serial port support loaded; we
did have CT sending CW in one station however, via LPT1.  We had VHF
and novice stations also which did paper logging and then put their logs
into the computer later.  We were using 9.23 due to problems with 9.27
and 9.30 which had been reported on the reflector prior to the contest.

1.  Several times we got "out of band" errors.  This happened fairly
consistently on 10 mtrs in the SSB station, and also happened post-contest
when I was trying to enter the 6 meter log.  Ultimately I had to enter all
those contacts as 2 mtr contacts and then change the band with Alt-F1
for each one.  When this happened the computer would not allow us to
enter any more contacts unless we deleted the contact, rebooted or changed
bands.  Obviously a real pain in a pileup situation.  The fact that this
happened post-contest leads me to the conclusion that it was not a stray
RF problem.

2.  CT counted our bonuses incorrectly when calculating our final score, an
error we did not catch until preparing a cover sheet listing the bonuses for
our final entry submission.  We had all the bonuses except for satellite QSO
and message relay, which should have been 900 points; CT gave us 1000
in its calculation.  After discovering the error, I rechecked the screen where
this information is entered and found it to be correct with 9 bonuses marked.

Did anyone else have similar troubles?  Any thoughts on how to deal with
them?  Thanks.

73 - Alan NS0B
(operated from N0SS on FD)

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *