CT-User

[ct-user] Help: SAVELOG over-writes floppy-based .BIN file

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Help: SAVELOG over-writes floppy-based .BIN file
From: wheelerm@actrix.gen.nz" <wheelerm@actrix.gen.nz (wheelerm@actrix.gen.nz)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 14:53:26 +1200
Hi Tod

Not sure if this helps but here is my comments ;

> 1. Is this the way things operate or is there perhaps something that we
> did in setting up our diskette for operation from a diskette during the
>    event that might have been flawed?
Sometimes users run "autosave" as an automatic to the floppy
drive to ensure a backup copy, in the heat of a pileup most don't
want to be asked "are you sure you want to over write the file"
because they do, also I suspect if a backup copy is made you
could run out of space on the floppy disk.  You may have heard the
comment in the computer circles "you can't make enough
backups", therefore suggest use a different set of disks for each
backup.

> 2. If this has happened before, was there a 'fix' that is a part of the
> CT8 archives?
I haven't heard of this happening but may have within our group !

There is a possible fix, on the basis the file data is there but not in
the File Allocation Table (FAT) directly visible use a program like
Nortons, change the name of the current file by one letter,
setup/rename the deleted file to the contest.bin file name, then all
may be well.  You may have access to a computer guru who can
check the floppy for the file data.

73
Malcolm