CT-User

Re: [ct-user] CT DOS Users Check your Log times for WPX

To: R Johnson <k1vu@tmlp.com>, CT-User@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CT DOS Users Check your Log times for WPX
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 07:36:09 -0400
At 11:48 PM 3/25/2007, R Johnson wrote:

>After using CT DOS V10 for the CQ WPX contest I found all of my
>times were off  by +1 Hour.
>I checked CT WIN and it was logging the correct time, just a problem
>with CT DOS.

This is an interesting situation.

My understanding is that DOS gets time from the BIOS.  I doubt any
BIOS or DOS have been patched with the new DST rules.

If your computer is set to local time, you probably have a TZ
variable defined somewhere:

   setenv TZ=EST5EDT

I'll bet that doesn't work between March 11 and April 1 (the
"traditional" start of DST in the US).

My guess is that during the 3 earlier and (?) later weeks of DST, you
will need to change this to:

   setenv TZ=EST4EDT

Now what happens on the CQWW Phone weekend, where time traditionally
changed, is anyone's guess.

As Bob noted, CTWIN gets its time from Windows, and it is correct (I
just checked, my PC is set to local time).

I think you're best off setting your DOS PC to GMT and using CT with
no TZ variable.

As to correcting existing logs, make sure you have the right "flavor"
of CT_TIME, there are different versions for CT9 and CT10, and for
running in an MS-DOS prompt under Windows, vs. running under real DOS.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us